Friday, May 15, 2009

The Compliments & Praise Task

I don't know about you, but I find that compliments and praise are hard to come by. It seems as if people are far more likely to directly or indirect tear each other down rather than build each other up--especially females because we are incredibly judgmental of each other. The Bible gives us a lot of direction about how we are to talk to and about one another. So, for the next week, I challenge you to encourage at least one person daily. This could be a stranger, someone with whom you experience difficulty, or simply someone who might need a pick-me-up.

I know this might be uncomfortable for some of you. Although I work as a personal fitness trainer and it's my job to dish out compliments and inspiration to each and every client, I, too, am uncomfortable with stepping outside my career-box and approaching people who I don't know and who might reject my efforts. However, as a Christian, I understand that I am called to behave in this manner, not simply because the Word instructs me to do so, but because I comprehend the reasoning and results of this behavior. Please keep in mind that I'm not asking you to act fake. Rather, think about how compliments and praise make you feel and extend that warmth to someone else.

May the following verses help you accomplish this task:

Proverbs 27:9

Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of one's friend springs from his earnest counsel.

Proverbs 31:8

Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves...

1 Thessalonians 5:11

Therefore encourage one another and build each other up

Hebrews 3:13

But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.

Hebrews 10:23-25

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful. And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Once you've completed this endeavor, please encourage the rest of us by telling us about your experiences.

Be a blessing,
Tami

No comments:

Post a Comment